Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Seafood Potpie


So we celebrated my husband's grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary with them at the Retirement community where they live. The dining facilities are great, so we were pretty excited to see the menu for the evening. My husband was particularly stoked when he saw Seafood Potpie on the menu. Really? Flaky crust? Seafood? Creaminess? How could he resist? Unfortunately the potpie was quite a letdown. It was more of a seafood mush. Mushy crust, mushy seafood. Not a good combination.  So being the good wife that I am, the following week I made him what he was looking for. I used cod, sea scallops, shrimp and a favorite of his, crawfish.  I didn't even bother with the usual filler of potatoes.



I started with a roux, and then added milk steeped with the crawfish and shrimp shells, and proceeded to add a little more butter and parmesan cheese and some old bay for a little kick. It turned into a pot of thick and creamy goodness. Seriously, I was eating spoonfuls of it (and it was immediately finding it's way to my thighs). I added the seafood to the sauce, then pured it all in dishes*. Topped them off with pie crust (store bought... what can I say... I already had it from a party and didn't want it to go to waste!) with a sprinkle of old bay, and popped them in the oven.  I want to say I cooked them for about 45 minutes at 375 or something, but I'm not 100% sure. It sounds about right though. ;)

Hubby was extremely happy with the results and I think pretty pleased that he was able to get a good seafood potpie after all. 


*As much stuff as I have, would you believe I don't have a single gratin dish OR soup crocks? I need to make my way to William Sonoma and get me some.  I had to use my Portmerion rimmed soup bowls instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment